Thursday, May 17, 2012

Q5. The "Stunt" of the Century

Many might have heard months ago about the guy that was asking to cross Niagara Falls on a tight rope from the US to the Canada side. It was brought up months before and US agreed to it and Canada took some time to think about but later approved the stunt. The daredevil’s name is Nik Wallenda, 33 years old is planning on really doing this event.  ABC is will be turning Nik Wallenda's attempted tightrope walk over Niagara Falls into a prime-time television event next month. The network said Friday it will devote its entire prime-time schedule to a three-hour special on June 15 with the daredevil's attempt. Part of the show will be an examination of the greatest stunts of all time. I wrote about this idea when he was first talking about this for a current event in Mr. Wild’s economic class and I thought it was crazy but awesome that this guy really wanted to do this. I honestly didn’t think he would get approved to do it but now I know why he did. Wallenda will be attached to a bungee cord, like string, in case he falls. Now, I’m not trying to sound like a mean or a bad person but I feel like it ruins the whole point of it. Being a daredevil means doing crazy stunts that put your life on danger. Stunts that put the people watching it on the edge of their seats in silence waiting to see what is going to happen next.  This stunt is exciting and I’m sure that a lot of people will go and watch Wallenda do it. But, the fact that we all know he’s going to live whether he does or doesn’t do it ruins it. It ruins it for me at least and I know that sounds bad but come on. It would be so much more interesting if there was nothing connected to him. Not that I’m saying I would want him to die, that’s not the case at all. But what’s the point of being a daredevil if you know you’re going to live either way? It takes the entire point away, I think. Anyone can attempt to walk across a wire, I’d do it, if I fall, I’m going to get pulled up anyways so I don’t find it a big deal. Also, I don’t understand why he’s spending months training for this, if he wasn’t going to be connected to anything while do it, it’d be completely understandable. It just proves how times are changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment