Monday, February 13, 2012

A New Perspective


I had been living in Manhattan since I could remember but I never understood as to why it was such a popular place to visit. There were constantly tourist around my house with a million bags. I never got the chance to experience the city, I was always by myself since I was about three. I’m eight now living in an apartment with just the butler. I’m home schooled and I don’t have many friends, none at all actually. I don’t think I will ever understand the meaning of friendship, maybe it’s because I’m too scared of getting someone taking away from me or someone leaving me, I don’t think I could ever handle it. Ronald, my butler always wanted to be there for me, he always is. Ronald constantly asked if I wanted to go out, even if it was to get the mail or go get a happy meal and McDonalds, but Id just shrug my shoulders and walk away. I never found a reason for me to go outside and experience where there is, I was fine by myself and I had been that way for the past eleven years.  I realize I’m different than others but a big part of me doesn’t care, I am who I am and I don’t think that could ever change. I lived by the river and I always heard boats racing back and forth and coming in late at nights, I always wanted to go see them but was too afraid too.  One night, I came out of my room and Ronald wasn’t in the apartment, I didn’t know whether  I should worry or just go back to my room and pretend it was normal, even though I knew it wasn’t. About thirty minutes later I heard Ronald come in and I came downstairs and
 I said “I didn’t know where you were, you worried me”,
he replied “Oh dear, I’m sorry, I just went to the river to clear my head.”
“What is the river like? I’ve always wondered” I said.
“It’s a wonderful place Charlie, come with me, it’ll be okay.” Ronald said.
As we walked out the door I became comfortable with each step we took, I had a gut feeling that this was a good thing to do, something that needed to happen. As we approached the river I got nervous, there was butterflies in my stomach, big ones. I can’t exactly explain how I was feeling. Ronald pointed to the most exotic boats that were coming in and out at night. Everyone seemed so happy and enjoyed what they were doing, something I’ve never completely felt.  It was amazing to me and at that very moment, I finally realized what there was to actually experience outside of an apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment