Monday, January 30, 2012

J2. Mrs. Skiowski

There have been many people who have influenced me and those who have set great examples in my life. Many of those people were teachers that I have had from Kindergarten to the present time. If I had to choose one who has had the greatest influence, it would have to be Mrs. Skiowski. Mrs. Skiowski always had a smile in her face and if she was ever mad, we’d never know. I know that in first grade school isn’t much of a challenge; we got up in the morning and wanted to go to school. Mrs. Skiowski was very intelligent; she always had knowledge to give you to help you at some point in your life. Mrs. Skiowski would have been my second grade teacher too but she went on maternity leave.  Mrs. Skiowski was a favorite of mine because she made learning fun. It did not matter whether we were in a portable classroom, where space was limited, or in an actual room in the building, where we had plenty of room to move around. She always had ideas to get us moving and enjoying whatever we were learning.  I remember that each Friday everyone in the class would have to go in front of everyone, one by one, and tell how their week was and what they did. I never liked doing this, I still don’t; Mrs. Skiowski would always go up with me to make me feel more comfortable and it really worked. Even today I hate doing oral presentation but every time I do one, I think of her and the ways that she helped me.  About two years ago I saw Mrs. Skiowski Christmas shopping in the mall and I talked to her for about an hour with my parents. Mrs. Skiowski informed us that she had been diagnosed with lung cancer and her and her family were having a hard time dealing with it. My heart absolutely sank when she told us that; it’s not fair, the things that happen to the people that least deserve it.  Mrs. Skiowski is by far the best teacher and one of the strongest women I know, I wish her well.

No comments:

Post a Comment