Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Blessing In Disguise

After sixteen years there’s a lot that has happened both good and bad. Everyone goes through things that others don’t understand, even if we try too. Last November my family had a house fire. My Dad, Mom, and I were ten hours away in North Carolina visiting family for Thanksgiving. My sister had just moved home from California only a week before and was home. She woke up to a house filled with smoke and she was coughing uncontrollably. She got up as fast as she could and opended my bedroom door and it was in flames, she ran out of the house! She called the police right away and there were over seven fire companies at the scene immeditetely. She then called my Dad’s phone and I woke up to yelling, my Mom rushed to tell me the news and everyone in the house was freaking out. We packed up all of our things and said our goodbye’s and got on the road as soon as we could. On the way home we received pictures of the fire it was absolutely devastating.  We continued to get phone calls and updates to see if the animals made it safe and somehow, they all did. After doing a ten hour drive in seven we finally made it home. There were at least thirty people still at my house and I couldn’t even walk in to what was left. Not many people know what they have until it’s gone. Pulling into my driveway and seeing what was left of my house that was filled with all my memories and everything that I owned was now gone, I can’t explain the feeling that I felt. The question was to say a great moment in our life and obviously this isn’t the greatest, it’s the worst but afterwards the realization that one feels is amazing. It changed me and my family as people. To be put that situation that we were and watch everything that mattered to us be lost was more than horrible. I would never wish anyone to go through what we had, because it was the hardest I have and hopefully will ever go through. But as of today I realize how lucky we are as to not have lost a life, like my sister. Husbands lost their wives, parents lose children, every day in this world. No one realizes how lucky they are to have what they do. There’s more to life than Facebook and cellphones, be grateful for everything that you have. It was a great moment in my life after realization.   

No comments:

Post a Comment